psychcentral-feature

Surviving your Breakup with Rational Thinking

Psychcentral
Psychcentral

zzlow says:
September 6, 2013 at 3:24 pm
One of the hardest things is feeling this way after a bad breakup or a toxic relationship. You mind knows it was the right thing but your heart still insists that this person should be in your life 🙁

wowtgp says:
September 7, 2013 at 1:02 pm
I have been there. It’s really tough to get over your ex and understand that you are not going to get them back again.

You moan his or her name inadvertently even when you are with your current partner. It’s not even funny.

Allorak says:
September 7, 2013 at 3:36 pm
Thinking logically is your best defense after a break up. It stops you from making that desperate phone call towards your ex. It stops you from taking back your cheating ex. It helps you move forward when all your heart wants to do is weep. Changing the way you think is very critical to surviving a break up.

Joe Chan says:
September 9, 2013 at 12:36 am
I know how it feels. It’s tough at first because you were so used to hanging out with your ex, but you will eventually get used to it.

I just broke up recently and I am trying to cope with it. I even cry sometimes because I miss my ex so much.

rasta_love says:
September 9, 2013 at 12:50 pm
i understand this clearly and agree and relate. breaking up is hard trying to get over your ex is even harder.

MoniqueS says:
September 9, 2013 at 9:49 pm
I haven’t gone through a really miserable break-up, but I struggle with depression and social anxiety. A huge part of my treatment has been cognitive behavioral therapy, which is essentially working on creating more balanced thoughts much like you have done above. It has been an instrumental tool in my recovery. I strongly recommend people use this technique to help gain a healthier perspective, because it is so easy to fall into a downward spiral and give into all the negativity. But remaining hopeful and optimistic is the most effective way to move on.

zzlow says:
September 11, 2013 at 9:48 am
Monique: Yes! Cognitive behaviour therapy is the best, I was just talking to a good friend about looking into it for anxiety issues.

TodayDogs says:
September 24, 2013 at 3:52 pm
The big thing, if you are deciding to break up with someone but you are hesitating, to remember is that if you don’t feel safe then you need to get out. If they abuse you even in an emotional way then the relationship is not worth the risk. Sometimes you have to say goodbye. That is life. But the hard part is being able so say goodbye and being a better person for it.

Prem says:
September 25, 2013 at 2:59 pm
I actually don’t wanted to read this post, don’t get me wrong, I just want to get rid of this word itself ‘break-up’, there was a time when I use to think this so called word will not come in between us. Now it’s not ‘us’ it’s just ‘me’ and trust me friends I am in a peaceful state of mind now. It’s the worst thing one can ever come across in life and it’s bitterer when you use to think, you are best the couples around, nothing can break your relationship etc. One thing I got to know was that, may what you plan destiny always have different plan for you and most of the time destiny’s plan is more perfect which you’ll realize later in life. So don’t get disheartened when you a loss, just accept the fact that it was not for you, something better is waiting you and move on with a smile.